Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Barkingside 3 Hackney Wick 0 (Premier Division)

Report by Scott Lanza


Tony Cookey came off the subs bench in the 55th minute and Hackney Wick probably wished he hadn’t as the Barkingside talisman went on to score all his side’s goals in Monday evening’s 3-0 win at Cricklefield.


The first half didn’t offer up much in way of chances. Bradley Gayer floated over an early free kick that Garrett Kelly was able to head on target but Gabriel Pietrzyk saved it with ease. Hackney Wick then went close when a corner ball glided across the Side goalmouth before being poked into the side-netting by Jeffrey Idemudia. Moments later Euan Taylor-Reid headed a corner inches over the Hackney Wick cross bar.


The Wickers do like to play the ball around the midfield but lacked cutting edge up front although Hunt did have to work hard to parry a Sergo Sidibe free kick before having to quickly smoother the loose ball before Alejandro Ramires had time to chase onto it.


The hosts perhaps created the best chances of the half towards the end of the opening forty-five with Charlie Little’s header causing Pietrzyk all kinds of trouble, his initial save palming the ball away before requiring a couple of attempts to got the ball under his possession. The Wickers keeper had less trouble cutting out an Aaron Lesta grasscutter, getting down low to stop the shot. However Lesta should have done better with the last chance of the half as he did a step-over to beat one Hackney Wick defender, took on and beat another, before losing his footing and therefore e losing possession before he could get a fire a shot at the Wickers goal.


Hackney Wick had the first chance of the second period when a deep cross from the left found Alejandro Ramires who then fired his shot into the side-netting. Then entered Cookey whose first involvement saw him sending over a cross towards Michael Ogboin and Charlie Little; alas they got in each other’s way and so the opening ended up coming to nothing.


Cookey then opened the scoring in the 65th minute, having three bites of the cherry before he was able to put the ball into the net. The first shot crashed against the cross bar with Cookey having another go when he raced onto the rebound, which Pietrzyk was able to keep out. Cookey however was not going to be denied, reacting quickly to pounce on the free ball and finally finish the job off.


Jeffrey Idemudia went close with a header but then in the 75th minute Cookey struck again with a goal that was perhaps a bit more routine. A ball over the top set the Side forward free and he lobbed Pietrzyk with relative ease.


The goal effectively ended the game as Side now shut up shop at the back which meant that the Wickers had to rely on long-range efforts which were often well wide of the target.


Cookey almost added his third when his speed again placed him in a dangerous position to let rip but Pietrzyk on this occasion was able to parry the shot with Cookey then skewing the rebound wide.


However Cookey was able to complete his hat-trick in the final minute after good work from Ogboin split the Hackey Wick defence leaving Cookey with the task of finishing off at close range.


Barkingside: Will Hunt, Joe Newbold, Bradley Gayer, Michael Bottone, Euan Taylor-Reid, Garrett Kelly, Gareth Jones (Tony Cookey 55’), Jayden Mitchell-Brown, Charlie Little, Aaron Lesta (Michael Ogboin 55’), Michael Sherwood (Jason Fontaine 60’).

Scorer – Tony Cookey (65’, 75’, 90’)


Hackney Wick: Gabriel Pietrzyk, Simpson Mpalampa, Robert Kasanga, Mark Collins, Blessing Adomah (Saico Djop 84’), Jermaine Nicholson (Prince Yeboah 84’), Sergo Sidibe, Alejandro Ramires (Tajahn Figueroa 73’), Robert Gaweda, Ibrahim Camar, Jeffrey Idemudia.