Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Barkingside 2 Enfield 1893 2 (Errington Challenge Cup 1st Round

Barkingside won 4-3 Pens

Report by Scott Lanza


Robert Errington and his family were in attendance for the first game in the re-named Errington Challenge Cup and they, along with the rest of the crowd, didn’t have to wait too long to witness the first ever goal in the newly-monickered competition. In fact some attendees may have possibly missed the first goal if they weren’t already in  position as the hosts opened the scoring in the very first minute – around the 28 second mark according to my watch. The first shot of the game came from Charlie Little and it sailed over Dylan Wicker, hit the underside of the bar before nestling in the back of the net.


It was a perfect Barkingside start and Little then went close moments later with a header after a good delivery from Raphael Duyile. Michael Ogboin also chased down a stray back pass and it looked like the hosts were looking to add a second without too much delay.


However Garrett Kelly then earned himself a yellow card after a reckless challenge on Mohamed Mahmoud. The challenge annoyed the visitors who were not able to do too much with the free kick as Danny Jones could only fire it into the Barkingside wall; however the rebound fell to David Ottley who took out his frustrations by thumping a fierce shot from thirty yards out that screamed past the post. Will Hunt may not have been able to do anything about it if it had been on target, but did find himself tested with another free kick, this time from Jacob Phillips and then had to cut out a Jones cross after Side were caught on the counter-attack. On that occasion the hosts had been camped inside the Enfied box but the ball was cleared, landing to Mahmood who launched the counter-offensive.


Enfield got them back on level terms in the 23rd minute after they were awarded a penalty after one of their players was felled in the box after a corner had wound its way across the box. Danny Jones did not waste the opportunity, firing his effort beyond the reach of Hunt.


After equalising Enfield then raised their game and had a couple of chances with Mahmood having the pick of them with his rasping drive that was narrowly wide of the near post. Barkingside were able to raise their game a bit as the half came to an end and had a succession of chances. Tony Cooker showed some flair as he picked up a ball on the left wing, cut inside and then unleashed a grass cutter that Wicker smothered. Ogboin was then let loose with that run coming to an end as Matt Thoma put in a last-ditch tackle to dispossess the Side front man. Duyile’s glancing header zipped past Wicker but went the wrong side of the post and then the woodwork came to Enfield’s aid as Ogboin had an effort strike the post.


Having ended the first half on top, Side then kept the pressure on the moment the referee blew to commence the second half and they re-took the lead in the 51st minute. A scintillating cross from Ogboin found Cookey who blasted his shot past Wicker.


Barkingside went back on the attack after taking the lead and may have extended their lead had Little managed to get on the end of another probing cross that had eluded the Enfield defence.


However Enfield were able to get themselves back on terms in the 64th minute. Some lack lustre Side defending allowed Mullings too much space in which to deliver a precision pass to Josh Sykes, who started the game on the subs bench,  but having come off it put his name down on the score sheet by stroking the ball home at the back post.


All of a sudden the pendulum had swung the other way and the visitord were now giving it a real go. A bullet header from James O’Brien was pushed over by Hunt, who then put his body on the line as he smothered a ball at the feet of Reuben Asamoah, injuring himself in the process. Sykes also tried the spectacular when he reeled off an overhead kick but the ball ended up landing some distance from the target. However Enfield were looking the most likely to score as the hosts had gone totally flat. However having opened the scoring in the opening minute, Little very nearly ended the scoring in the final stages when a ball fell to him in the box but on this occasion he smashed it over.


The game then went to penalties and Euan Taylor-Reid had his effort saved, while Danny Jones converted. But Barkingside recovered from that set back as Brad Gayer, Garrett Kelly and Tony Cookey all placed their penalties beyond Wicker. Hunt was also a hero as he saved the penalties taken by Jacob Phillips and Tony Da-Silva; although James O’Brien and Carl Mullings were able to keep their team’s hand in by netting their efforts. But Chid Onokwai made sure it was Barkingside that moved into the next round by firing his penalty home and winning the shoot-out 4-3 for the hosts.


Barkingside: Will Hunt, Joe Newbold (Chid Onokwai 55’), Brad Gayer, Garrett Kelly, Euan Taylor-Reid, Ricardo Bailey, Charlie Little, Jayden Mitchell-Brown, Michael Ogboin (Michael Bottone 65’), Tony Cookey, Raphael Duyile (David Etcheri 55’).

Scorers – Charlie Little (1’), Tony Cookey (51’)


Enfield 1893: Dylan Wicker, Reuben Asamoah, Jacob Phillips, Matt Thoma, James O’Brien, Tony Da-Silva, Mohamed Mahmoud, Matt Claxton, Danny Jones, Carl Mullings, David Ottley (Josh Sykes 61’).

Scorers – Danny Jones (24’), Josh Sykes (64’).