Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Saturday 3rd February

Basildon United 1 Sawbridgeworth Town 3

The Robins continued their recent good form by stunning the Bees at Gardiners Close, handing the hosts a rare defeat in the process.  James Mays fired the visitors into a 15th minute lead but the hosts levelled just past the half hour mark when Jack Adlington played in Marcus Bowers who placed an effort into the far corner.  However just past the hour mark Sawbo restored their lead when George Pullen saw a deflected effort find the net, and then deep into stoppage time the visitors sealed the points when Toby Cleaver slotted home and means the Robins remain in 11th, whilst Basildon remain in 3rd.


Burnham Ramblers 0 Waltham Forest 1

Forest grabbed a vital win at Leslie Field against a woefully out of form Burnham Ramblers to move four points above the bottom four.  The only goal of the game came in the first half when Onokwai waltzed through the Ramblers backline before cutting back for Belho to smash home.  Defeat for the hosts sees their 2018 record at five straight defeats, and they are now also four points above the bottom four also.


Enfield 1893 1 Clapton 2

The Tons withstood some Enfield 1893 pressure to record a hard fought win in Harlow and remain in 6th in the ESL.  The home side had the better chances in the opening half but it was Clapton who led at the break thanks to a cool finish from Jeff Cobblah, and they doubled their lead when Cobblah produced a powerful close range finish.  The hosts did grab a late goal via Ado Odukoya to make the final few minutes interesting, but it was the visitors who held on and it means Enfield remain in the bottom four, three points from safety.


Hackney Wick 1 Barkingside 7

Side continued their much improved 2018 by demolishing bottom side Hackney Wick at the Old Spotted Dog, with Roddy Lemba netting a second hat-trick in three games in the process.  Greg Moorse had fired the Wickers into an early lead, but Lemba and Matteus Santos had the visitors two up early on before Lemba added a third just before half time as the visitors held a 3-1 lead at the break.  Kofi Bilzy added a fourth in the 64th minute before Lemba completed his treble with fifteen minutes left, and then late goals from Michael Ogboin and James Briggs completed the rout and sees Side now four points above the bottom four.  However for Wick it’s another major blow for the survival hopes, and they remain bottom and now eleven points from safety with just eleven matches to go.  It’s looking bleak.


Ilford 1 Tower Hamlets 1

The Foxes and Hamlets shared a draw at Cricklefield it what was a hard fought match in Seven Kings.  Wale Odedoyin had put the visitors ahead but Ilford fought back and equalised through Tony Cookey to make sure they took a point from this one.  It means Ilford remain in 7th whilst Hamlets drop to 9th.


Southend Manor 0 Stansted 1

Stansted made it three wins in five after they saw off Southend Manor at Southchurch Park.  The only goal came early on when Stefan Nielsen blasted home a free kick, and the win saw them leapfrog their opponents into 12th spot.  Manor, who played almost the entire game with ten men after Sparrow was dismissed early on, also saw Zamani dismissed late on as they ended the game with nine men and defeat sees them then drop to 13th.


Sporting Bengal United 0 Great Wakering Rovers 2

Rovers eventually saw off Sporting Bengal United at Mile End after two second half strikes gave them all three points.  Nathan Dewberry grabbed the breakthrough on the hour mark before Chris Bryan netted following a cross from Jay Nash with ten minutes remaining to seal the deal, and it means GWR keep the pressure up on the top three.  Defeat for Sporting means they slip to fifth bottom and are now just three points above the danger zone.


Takeley P-P FC Romania

Wadham Lodge P-P Redbridge


West Essex 3 Woodford Town (2017) 2

The hosts are back up to 8th after they overturned a half time deficit to take all three points against Woodford Town at Mayesbrook Park.  The visitors took the lead a minute before the break when Temi Babalola found the target, but it was only five minutes into the second half when the hosts levelled through James Bromley.  And just two minutes afterwards the home side went in front when Joe Lefley converted from the penalty spot after Tom Macleod had been hauled down, before it was three in the 65th minute when Michael Mignot rifled home after Brad Russell had released him down the channel.  The visitors did reduce the arrears through Takudzwa Mashingaidze thereafter, however it wasn’t enough to deny the home side the points, and it means Woodford stay in 10th.

Report by Peter Dudley @ped1980 / Photo by Sherry Cumming