Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Hanwell Town 2 Redbridge 2 (London Senior Cup 1st Round)

Hanwell Town Win 4-2 Pens

Report by Adam Silver / Photo by Philip Lindhurst


The Motormen travelled across west London to face higher opposition in Evo-Stick South East side Hanwell Town for this London Senior Cup tie.


With league positions more pressing it was no surprise to see both sides make changes to their starting line ups. A lively start to the game from both sides saw Redbridge take early lead on 13 minutes.


Lindisipho Mytanda made and scored the goal himself as he showed good skill in holding off a couple of defenders before turning and getting his shot in on goal which crept into the far corner past goalkeeper Risheet Lal.


Hanwell were having much of their play down the right through Glen Yala who looked to get forward at every opportunity. The home side thought they should have been awarded a penalty when Callum Wright fell to the ground in the box but the referee waved away the appeals.


Mytanda was then denied his and Redbridge’s second when put clear through on goal beating the offside trap but the Hanwell keeper stood firm and was able to make a good save.


That miss proved to be costly as from the next passage of play Hanwell got their equalizer. Ex-Motorman David Sanglo got in a deep cross from the right to the far post where Wright was in space and able to hear home past Jack Francis in the Redbridge goal.


The pitch was in excellent condition and allowed for good passing by both sides however the home side were soon reduced to ten men. Defender Nick Turner was adjudged to have gone in late on Tommie Turner and the Referee was quick to show a red card, although from the stands it seemed a somewhat harsh decision.


With the extra man Redbridge almost took immediate advantage whenMalaki Toussaint let fly from distance but his shot hit the upright bounced down and then away to safety leaving the bar still shaking.


The ten men of Hanwell then took the lead as Charlie Mitchell strode forward before cutting in from the wing and getting his shot in which took a massive deflection off Toussaint and rolled past Francis into an empty net.


Hanwell started the second half strongly with a good effort from Georges Ekul just going wide before it was their turn to hit the crossbar as Wright looked up, before curling his effort which smashed against the woodwork.


A great opportunity then came for Redbridge to equalise through substitute Courtney Homans who exchanges passes before finding himself bearing down on goal, he let fly but the crossbar once again came to the rescue.


Redbridge were now staring to make the extra man count as they threw everything at their opponents who were happy just to clear the ball. They could do nothing however to stop another sub, Patrick Duggan, from scoring as he picked the ball up from 25 yards out and hit a ferocious effort into the back of the net leaving Lal no chance.


Toussaint then tried his luck from range before the home side ended strongly with Wright guilty of missing two chances he should have done better with.


The whistle then blew and with no extra time being played the game went straight to a penalty shoot out.


Both Duggan and Homans were denied for Redbridge with good stops from Lal, whilst the home side made no mistakes converting their four penalties which sees them progress to the next round.