Print Friendly, PDF & Email

FC Romania 2 Waltham Forest 1

Errington Challenge Cup 2nd Round

Wednesday 10th January

A goal in each half saw FC Romania knock out a youthful and sprightly Waltham Forest outfit – who could have taken the game into penalties had they been a bit more accurate with a clear-cut chance in the closing stages.

Both teams opened the affair passing the ball nicely without penetrating too much. It was the visitors who had the first meaningful attack when Chris Medina used his strength to get into a position to fire off a shot. His first shot was blocked and he then sent the rebound narrowly over. Forest also won a succession of corners, before crafting a good opportunity when Gent Mark supplied Medina with a tasty cross from the right,  which ended up being placed wide. FC Romania then went through the gears as a sweeping move down the left flank ended with Marius Teleoac crossing to Mihai Botosan,  who headed over.

The Wolves went on to take the lead in the 17th minute with a fabulous strike from Teleoac that went in off the post.

Forest didn’t drop their heads though. A wonderful passing move from midfield to attack involving Lye John, Medina, Cassidy-Sinclair and Belho won  a corner. The resulting set-piece fell  to Medina whose shot stung Negrila’s palms. Medina was a constant threat to the Romania defence going on to have two shots blocked.

Mouiz Rana, the Forest keeper,  had to show bravery as he dived and gained possession of the ball  at Sergiu Florin’s feet. Rana then had fortune on his side after he was beaten by a Mihai Botosan shot that struck the post. And despite Forest winning a few more corners,  it was the hosts who ended the half with the more meaningful attacks. Florin had a shot headed clear by Danny Laurent;  next came a Felix Lupa free kick which Rana saved.

FC Romania came out in the second half and immediately gained the upper hand in terms of possession. That possession eventually ended up with them scoring their second of the evening in the 58th minute. After having a shot deflected for a corner, the Wolves made good usage of it by supplying Daniel Cater, who slammed the ball into the back of the net. It meant Forest were now up against it. To make matters worse FC Romania moved their defence line up in an attempt to stifle any Forest attacks.

Forest battled on and did have the odd foray into the Romania box. Terry Foxe had a shot cleared off the line; a corner was punched clear by Negrila, who then got down low to deny Caleb St Luce. The Romania stopper went on to turn away a powerful Daniel Medina shot.

Forest however found a way through in the 78th minute. Chris Medina dinked over the Romania defence; Belho connected with it and lofted it over Negrila. It was the goal that Waltham Forest’s grit and determination deserved. They were now back in it

However the hosts nearly wrapped it up soon after conceding, but Florin Pop then uncharacteristically fluffed his lines when he came one-to-one with Rana, hesitating and then blasting his shot wide.

Chris Medina then placed a shot wide after he cut inside the Romania box. His next effort was deflected for a corner. Negrila then had to come out of his box and clear away a ball that was being chased down by two Forest forwards. But right at the end of the game Waltham Forest missed a glorious opportunity to equalise and take the game to penalties. Daniel Medina was able to outpace the Romania defence and find Nikko Stokes, who had the goal begging in front of him, but somehow managed to place his shot over the bar.

FC Romania were certainly made to work for their win though and now travel to Great Wakering Rovers in the Quarter Finals.


FC Romania: Razvan Negrila, Dinu Barcari, Daniel Cater (Adrian Balsanu 64’), Marias Teleoac (Florin Pop 74’), Mihai Circiumaru, Mihai Botosan, Sergiu Florin, Attila Kelemen, Constantin Arotaritei, Felix Lupa, Gabriel Ghinea.

Scorers – Marius Teleoaca 33’, Daniel Cater (58’)

Waltham Forest: Moviz Rana, Dominic Shepherd, Bradley Harris, Charlie Coleman, Danny Laurent, Terry Foxe, Lye John (Nikko Stokes 62’), Vicente Belho, Gent Mark (Caleb St Luce 62’), Chris Medina, Ramone Cassidy-Sinclaire (Daniel Medina 74’).

Scorer – Vicente Belho (78’)

Report by Scott Lanza