Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Enfield 1893 1 Coggeshall Town 0 (After Extra Time)

Buildbase FA Vase 1st Round

Report by Scott Lanza / Photo by Nigel Saunders @


The E’s left it late as their encounter with Coggeshall Town was goalless until Carl Mullings found a way past James Bransgrove to score the winning goal in the 115th minute.


Coggeshall Town put their hosts under pressure straight from the start with Jamie Age very nearly connecting with a through ball that luckily for the hosts sped away from him before he could let off a shot. James O’Brien then had to concede a corner as the Seedgrowers continued to press and from the corner came two chances as Luke Wilson and Correy Davidson both had shots blocked.


Enfield’s first effort came when Mullings burst through but the end product was dragged wide. The E’s however had a better chance in the 16th minute when a cross-shot from Ben Bradbury floated dangerously towards goal and needed Bransgrove to punch the ball clear.


Michael Corderoy had work to do when Tom Colville hit a grasscutter in the 28th minute and moments later Correy Davidson went close with a left-footed shot that whistled past the post. Coggeshall were quick going forward at times and ended the half in control but apart from a Nnamdi Nwachuku shot in the 40th minute, Corderoy had little to do with his counterpart having to once come off his line to claim a deep cross as the half petered out.


The visitors started the second period on the attack, winning an early corner; while that came to nothing the Seedgrowers continued to press and a glorious opportunity arrived in the 53rd minute when a ball over the top was chased by Aaron Cosgrove who outpaced his marker and then flashed a shot across Enfield’s goal.  Enfield replied with a free kick that Mullings got his head onto but the ball was cleared away. Chances soon dried up as the game became drawn out in midfield.


However the E’s did have a few opportunities to win it in normal time. A Mullings lob over Bransgrove almost crept in; a Luke Thomas cross was knocked away for a corner which ended up being knocked on by Joe Staunton before hitting an Enfield player near the goal line and being cleared. Ben Bradbury showed a bit of flair in the closing stages as he ran down the left wing to the by-line, cut inside and laid it off to Mullings but the final shot lacked power and was stopped by Bransgrove. However neither side had managed to muster up anything too clear-cut and so the game went into extra time.


The extra period didn’t offer up much in terms of entertainment or chances. Nwachuku slammed a shot just wide, while a Jacob Partridge header was easily handled by the Enfield custodian. As the clock wound down it was looking like a goalless stalemate was on the cards.


Any thoughts of a replay were dispelled in the 115th minute however. Thomas was able to place a ball into the path of Mullings, who held off a challenge before making his way into the box and slotting the ball under Bransgrove. Mullings was soon back in the Coggeshall box as he made a darting run that ended in him being upended. The opportunity was there for the E’s to seal the win but Bransgrove guessed correctly by diving to his right and saving Bradbury’s penalty.


It was certainly a slog but Enfield won’t mind as they dug in and did enough to win the game and book their 2nd Round berth.


Enfield 1893: Michael Corderoy, Matt Caxton, Miguel Lopes De Matos, Ryan Cosson (Matt Thoma 90’), James O’Brien, Tony Da Silva (Jacob Dixon 73’), Luke Thomas, Joe Staunton, Joshua Sykes (Joe Johnson 33), Carl Mullings, Ben Bradbury.

Scorer – Carl Mullings (115’)


Coggeshall Town: James Bransgrove, Danny Scott, Dom Rowe, Tom Colville (Dan McCullock 96’), Jacob Partridge, Luke Wilson, Nnamdi Nwachuku, Conor Hubble, Jamie Age (Sean Radley 82’), Correy Davidson (Josce Syrett 70’), Aaron Cosgrove.