Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Tower Hamlets 1 Enfield 1893 2 (Buildbase FA Vase 2nd Round)


There was rather unsavoury drama at the end of this all ESL affair as five players received their marching orders in a game that was by no means a rough-house. Both teams battled for possession meaning that it was a very tight affair from start to finish.


The game was certainly a slow burner with little of note until the 14th minute when Luke With held up the ball before slotting it into the path of Curtis Pond who then charged into the Enfield box and fired a shot past Michael Corderoy.


Hamlets held the lead for a mere two minutes as Enfield came back with an immediate reply. A free kick floated into the Tower Hamlets box and was met by Andrew Tirivanhu who stroked home the equaliser.


James Pellin, the Hamlets keeper was kept busy with a Joe Staunton free kick, then punched away a corner before saving a John Bricknell penalty. The hosts went close themselves when a ball made its way across Enfield’s goalmouth which Wale Odedoyin nearly got on the end of.


The half ended with both keepers needing to do some housekeeping to prevent any further scoring. A deep cross was dealt with by Pellin, then Corderoy was called into action, tipping away a With effort.


Tower Hamlets started the half with a clutch of half chances that didn’t cause Corderoy or his defence too much worry. A decent With cross that was aimed at Odedoyin required James O’Brien to head the ball away, however it could be said that at least the hosts were having a go. It took Enfield until the 56th minute to create anything upfront with Luke Thomas and Bricknell both exchanging passes that for a moment looked promising but then the opportunity broke down due to an overhit final ball. Enfield had woken up though and Matthew Caxton then went close with a free kick.


Clear cut chances were once again few and far between with lots of endeavour in the midfield area which meant both teams cancelled each other out. However Enfield took the lead in the 70th minute after they had won a corner. The kick reached Tirivanhu who blasted a shot into one of his own players, but the ball was soon in the back of the net as Joseph Clark pounced on the loose ball and finished the job off.


Tower Hamlets came back straight away with a Tola Odedoyin shot being deflected for a corner. But the hosts then made it difficult for themselves when they were reduced to ten men after Jerome Anthony received a second yellow card. The job then became harder still as soon afterwards they were reduced to nine men when Luke With also received a second yellow card. And then the red count continued when in the final minutes a very minor altercation saw Antonio Montiero and James Pullen receive red cards along with Josh Sykes for Enfield. It rather spoiled the game as the contest had been competitive and certainly not a war.


After the red cards were put away there was enough time for Enfield to eke out a couple of chances to make sure of victory. A Ben Bradbury free kick worked its way dangerously around the Hamlets box before being hooked clear and then Jayden Hocking-Rising came off the subs bench and delievered a strike that was blocked.


The visitors had battled hard to win this one, picking up some welcome prize money as well as going into the 3rd Round draw on Monday.


Tower Hamlets: James Pellin, Lamar Earle, John Watson, Kai Tobun, Tola Odedoyin, Alhousman Ndure, Curtis Pond, Frankie Sinclair, Luke With, Jerome Anthony, Wale Odedoyin (Capt (O’Neal Rowe 63’).

Scorer – Curtis Pond (14’)


Enfield 1893: Michael Corderoy, Matthew Caxton (Antonio Montiero 80’), Joseph Clark, Ryan Cosson, James O’Brien (Capt), Andrew Tirivanhu, Luke Thomas (Jayden Hocking-Rising 88’), Joe Staunton, John Bricknell (Josh Sykes 73’), Joe Johnson, Ben Bradbury.

Scorers – Andrew Tirivanhu (16’), Joseph Clark (70’)


Report/Photo by Scott Lanza