Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Hullbridge Sports 1 – 1 Colney Heath

Buildbase FA Vase 1st Round

Report/Photos by Scott W

Twitter: @ScottMHC14 &


On a really chilly afternoon at Lower Road, Hullbridge Sports took on Spartan South Midlands Premier side Colney Heath in a FA Vase First Round Proper tie. Hullbridge were missing injured forward Luca Frankis though Jimmy Cox returned to captain the side. Full-back Sam Taylor also made a welcome return to the starting eleven following a spell out with injury.


The visitors started the match the stronger of the two sides and took the lead after only seven minutes through forward Jack Woods’ low free-kick which beat home goalkeeper Lewis Catling on its way into the right corner. Colney Heath could have doubled that lead though forward David Parkinson’s shot went just wide. Hullbridge had to make an early change as they lost midfielder Lewis Watson to a nasty-looking knee injury early on.


The hosts did not have to wait long to get back into this contest though as on 16 minutes, winger Ollie Miller’s cross got caught up in the swirling wind and although it seemed fellow winger Charlie Gerada may have got the final touch, Miller was credited with the goal. Regardless, it was just what Rob Hodgson’s side needed.


The visitors responded as they had perhaps the better of the play though were restricted to few real chances as forward Stefan Geraldes and midfielder Spencer Clarke-Mardle both could not find the target. The Hullbridge defence, led as ever by the ever-determined Hodgson who made a few good interceptions, fought hard to keep the score level.

The second half began with the visitors having the first of the chances though Catling was called into action at his near-post six minutes after the break, and Geraldes shot wide from the resulting corner. Catling had to be brave to deny Parkinson a matter of minutes later. In what was becoming more of a battle of attrition, the hosts missed a great chance on 68 minutes when substitute Damien Siemienczuk shot wide when in a good position. This brought on a good spell by the hosts though forward Jimmy Cox struck the crossbar and substitute Tom Ranger toe-poked effort was saved by visiting custodian Sean Fryer.


As the latter stages of normal time came and went, the conditions continued to pose a challenge as the swirling wind wasn’t helpful to either side. Neither side could create many chances so extra-time it was.


Extra-time began in an inauspicious way for the hosts as Hullbridge assistant Aaron Hunwicks was sent from the dug-out by referee Ede Eruero. In the opening period of added time, Heath forward Jack Woods toiled as he had done all match though couldn’t find the target on more than one occasion. In the second period, the battle continued and although Cox hit the post with a good effort, these sides just could not be separated in the end and a replay will take place in midweek.


Hullbridge Sports: Lewis Catling (GK), Charlie Buffin, Sam Taylor, Michael Edgar, Rob Hodgson, Ollie Quick, Ollie Miller (Damien Siemienczuk 66’), Lewis Watson (Tom Ranger 12’, Howard Wright 84’ (for Ranger)), Jimmy Cox (C), Jamie Buffin, Charlie Gerada

Scorer: Ollie Miller (16’)


Colney Heath: Sean Fryer (GK), Isa Rotimi, Callum Dudrenec, Sam Doolan (C), Luke Jones, Spencer Clarke-Mardle (Nathan Dimmock 91’), Ty Ward (George Jumbo 61’), Niall Lysaght, David Parkinson (Adam Lowton 94’), Stefan Geraldes, Jack Woods

Scorer: Jack Woods (7’)